Appl. Phys. Express 1 (2008) 038001 (3 pages) |Previous Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (110K)| |Buy This Article|
Enhanced Transfection Efficiency in Laser-Induced Stress Wave-Assisted Gene Transfer at Low Laser Fluence by Increasing Pressure Impulse
Department of Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Keio University, 3-14-1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama 223-8522, Japan
1Division of Biomedical Information Sciences, National Defense Medical College Research Institute, 3-2 Namiki, Tokorozawa, Saitama 359-8513, Japan
2Department of Physiology, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-8582, Japan
(Received December 21, 2007; accepted February 11, 2008; published online February 29, 2008)
To improve transfection efficiency in gene delivery based on nanosecond pulsed laser-induced stress waves, we examined different types of transparent materials, a poly(ethylene terephthalate) sheet, poly(vinyl alcohol) gel, and water, which were placed on a laser target for plasma confinement. We found that the use of water was most effective for maintaining a large pressure impulse during multipulse laser irradiation and, as a result, high transfection efficiency was demonstrated in rat skin in vivo at a relatively low laser fluence of 0.7 J/cm2. At this fluence, steady laser transmission through quartz fibers was confirmed, allowing endoscopic application of our gene delivery technique.
©2008 The Japan Society of Applied Physics
- M. Ogura, S. Sato, K. Nakanishi, M. Uenoyama, T. Kiyozumi, D. Saitoh, T. Ikeda, H. Ashida, and M. Obara: Lasers Surg. Med. 34 (2004) 242.
- M. Terakawa, M. Ogura, S. Sato, H. Wakisaka, H. Ashida, M. Uenoyama, Y. Masaki, and M. Obara: Opt. Lett. 29 (2004) 1227.
- Y. Satoh, Y. Kanda, M. Terakawa, M. Obara, K. Mizuno, Y. Watanabe, S. Endo, H. Ooigawa, H. Nawashiro, S. Sato, and K. Takishima: J. Biomed. Opt. 10 (2005) 060501.
- M. Terakawa, S. Sato, H. Ashida, K. Aizawa, M. Uenoyama, Y. Masaki, and M. Obara: J. Biomed. Opt. 11 (2006) 014026.
- M. Terakawa, S. Sato, D. Saitoh, H. Tsuda, H. Ashida, H. Okano, and M. Obara: J. Biomed. Opt. 12 (2007) 034031.
- T. Kodama, M. R. Hamblin, and A. G. Doukas: Biophys. J. 79 (2000) 1821.
- R. Fabbro, J. Fournier, P. Ballard, D. Devaux, and J. Virmont:
J. Appl. Phys. 68 (1990) 775[AIP Scitation].
- S. Lee, D. J. McAuliffe, T. J. Flotte, and A. G. Doukas: Lasers Surg. Med. 28 (2001) 344.
- Y. Kaneda, T. Nakajima, T. Nishikawa, S. Yamamoto, H. Ikegami, N. Suzuki, H. Nakamura, R. Morishita, and H. Kotani: Mol. Ther. 6 (2002) 219.