Appl. Phys. Express 1 (2008) 074003 (3 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1871K)| |Buy This Article|
Self-organization of Novel Carbon Composite Structure: Graphene Multi-Layers Combined Perpendicularly with Aligned Carbon Nanotubes
Nanotechnology Research Center, Fujitsu Laboratories Ltd., Atsugi, Kanagawa 243-0197, Japan
(Received May 17, 2008; accepted May 28, 2008; published online June 20, 2008)
A novel carbon composite structure consisiting of graphene multi-layers and aligned multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWNTs) has been discovered. The composite structure, which was synthesized by chemical vapor deposition, has graphene multi-layers combined with the upper ends of vertically aligned MWNTs on a substrate. This microscopically-combined structure has been confirmed by transmission electron microscopy. The substrate with the new structure looks gray and shiny, which is completely different from the appearance of a substrate with the usual vertically-aligned MWNTs. The new composite structure is expected to have excellent electrical and thermal properties, and therefore is likely to find many applications in electronics.
©2008 The Japan Society of Applied Physics
- B. W. Smith, M. Monthioux, and D. E. Luzzi:
Nature 396 (1998) 323[CrossRef].
- Z. Yao, C. L. Kane, and C. Dekker:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 84 (2000) 2941[APS].
- P. Kim, L. Shi, A. Majumdar, and P. L. McEuen:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 87 (2001) 215502[APS].
- M. Nihei, M. Horibe, A. Kawabata, and Y. Awano:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 43 (2004) 1856[JSAP].
- T. Iwai, H. Shioya, D. Kondo, S. Hirose, A. Kawabata, S. Sato, M. Nihei, T. Kikkawa, K. Joshin, Y. Awano, and N. Yokoyama: IEDM Tech. Dig., 2005, 11-3.
- K. S. Novoselov, A. K. Geim, S. V. Morozov, D. Jiang, Y. Zhang, S. V. Dubonos, I. V. Grigorieva, and A. A. Firsov: Science 306 (2004) 666[Science].
- A. A. Balandin, S. Ghosh, W. Bao, I. Calizo, D. Teweldebrhan, F. Miao, and C. N. Lau:
Nano Lett. 8 (2008) 902[CrossRef].