Appl. Phys. Express 2 (2009) 061401 (3 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (834K)| |Buy This Article|
Impact of Cu Electrode on Switching Behavior in a Cu/HfO2/Pt Structure and Resultant Cu Ion Diffusion
Advanced Electronic Materials Center, National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), 1-1 Namiki, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0044, Japan
(Received December 11, 2008; accepted April 30, 2009; published online May 29, 2009)
In a newly proposed switching device using polycrystalline HfO2 thin film with ion diffusion path, we have found that a Cu electrode could contribute to improved switching performance. Current–voltage measurements at room temperature revealed clear resistive switching, not accompanied by a forming process, in our Cu/HfO2/Pt structure. The current step difference from one state to the other one was in the order of 103–104, giving a sufficient on/off ratio. Voltage sweep polarity suggested that filamentary Cu paths were formed due to Cu ion diffusion and annihilated at the HfO2/Pt interface at reversed bias. This filament path formation and annihilation was the origin of the switching device performance.
©2009 The Japan Society of Applied Physics
- T. Sakamoto, H. Sunamura, H. Kawaura, T. Hasegawa, T. Nakayama, and M. Aono:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 82 (2003) 3032[AIP Scitation].
- N. Banno, T. Sakamoto, T. Hasegawa, K. Terabe, and M. Aono:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 45 (2006) 3666[JSAP].
- K. Terabe, T. Hasegawa, T. Nakayama, and M. Aono:
Nature 433 (2005) 47[CrossRef].
- M. Mitkova and M. N. Kozicki:
J. Non-Cryst. Solids 299–302 (2002) 1023[CrossRef].
- M. N. Kozicki, M. Park, and M. Mitkova: IEEE Trans. Nanotechnol. 4 (2005) 331.
- H. Y. Lee, P. S. Chen, T. Y. Wu, Y. S. Chen, C. C. Wang, P. J. Tzeng, C. H. Lin, F. Chen, C. H. Lien, and M.-J. Tsai: IEDM Tech. Dig., 2008, p. 297.
- M. Yoshimoto, T. Maeda, T. Ohnishi, H. Koinuma, O. Ishiyama, M. Shinohara, M. Kubo, R. Miura, and A. Miyamoto:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 67 (1995) 2615[AIP Scitation].
- T. Sakamoto, K. Lister, N. Banno, T. Hasegawa, K. Terabe, and M. Aono:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 91 (2007) 92110[AIP Scitation].
- K. Tsunoda, Y. Fukuzumi, J. R. Jameson, Z. Wang, P. B. Griffin, and Y. Nishi:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 90 (2007) 113501[AIP Scitation].