Appl. Phys. Express 2 (2009) 122202 (3 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (177K)| |Buy This Article|
Demonstration of a III–Nitride/Silicon Tandem Solar Cell
1Materials Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 1 Cyclotron Rd., Berkeley, CA 94720, U.S.A.
2RoseStreet Labs Energy, 3701 E. University Dr., Phoenix, AZ 85034, U.S.A.
(Received September 24, 2009; accepted November 19, 2009; published online December 11, 2009)
We report on the proof of principle of a III–nitride/silicon tandem solar cell. Photovoltaic activity is demonstrated in a 0.25 cm2 dual junction solar cell, made of p- and n-type GaN layers which were grown by molecular beam epitaxy (MBE) on a standard n-type Si wafer with an Al doped p-type surface. An open circuit voltage (Voc) of 2.4 V was measured under 1× sun AM1.5G condition with additional UV laser illumination of the GaN junction. Experiments under various illumination conditions were performed to verify that both junctions are active and working in series.
©2009 The Japan Society of Applied Physics
PACS: 84.60.Jt, 88.40.H-, 72.40.+w, 73.40.Kp, 81.15.Hi
- J. F. Geisz, S. Kurtz, M. W. Wanlass, J. S. Ward, A. Duda, D. J. Friedman, J. M. Olson, W. E. McMahon, T. E. Moriarty, and J. T. Kiehl:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 91 (2007) 023502[AIP Scitation].
- M. A. Green, K. Emery, Y. Hishikawai, and W. Warta: Prog. Photovoltaics 17 (2009) 320.
- T. Soga, K. Baskar, T. Kato, T. Jimbo, and M. Umeno:
J. Cryst. Growth 174 (1997) 579[CrossRef].
- J. Wu, W. Walukiewicz, K. M. Yu, W. Shan, J. W. Ager III, E. E. Haller, H. Lu, W. J. Schaff, W. K. Metzger, and S. Kurtz:
J. Appl. Phys. 94 (2003) 6477[AIP Scitation].
- J. W. Ager III, L. A. Reichertz, D. Yamaguchi, L. Hsu, R. E. Jones, K. M. Yu, N. Miller, W. Walukiewicz, and W. J. Schaff: in Proc. 22nd European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conf., ed. G. Willeke, H. Ossenbrink, and P. Helm (WIP-Renewable Energies, Munich, 2007) p. 215.
- L. Hsu and W. Walukiewicz:
J. Appl. Phys. 104 (2008) 024507[AIP Scitation].
- L. A. Reichertz, K. M. Yu, Y. Cui, M. E. Hawkridge, J. W. Beeman, Z. Liliental-Weber, J. W. Ager III, W. Walukiewicz, W. J. Schaff, T. L. Williamson, and M. A. Hoffbauer: Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 1068 (2008) C06-02.
- J. W. Ager III, L. A. Reichertz, K. M. Yu, W. J. Schaff, T. L. Williamson, M. A. Hoffbauer, N. M. Haegel, and W. Walukiewicz: Proc. 33rd IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conf., 2008, No. 31.
- J. W. Ager III, L. A. Reichertz, Y. Cui, Y. E. Romanyuk, D. Kreier, S. R. Leone, K. M. Yu, W. J. Schaff, and W. Walukiewicz:
Phys. Status Solidi C 6 (2009) S413[CrossRef].
- O. Jani, C. Honsberg, Y. Huang, J.-O. Song, I. Ferguson, G. Namkoong, E. Trybus, A. Doolittle, and S. Kurtz: Conf. Rec. 4th IEEE World Conf. Photovoltaic Energy Conversion, 2006, p. 20.