Appl. Phys. Express 4 (2011) 032401 (3 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (330K)| |Buy This Article|
Absorption Spectra of Smoke Emitted from Heated Nylon Fabric Measured with a Continuous-Wave Sub-Terahertz Spectrometer
NTT Microsystem Integration Laboratories, Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation, Atsugi, Kanagawa 243-0198, Japan
1Nanoelectronics Research Institute, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8568, Japan
2Spectra Design Corporation, Ohtawara, Tochigi 324-0403, Japan
3Center for Fire Science and Technology, Research Institute of Science Technology, Tokyo University of Science, Noda, Chiba 278-8510, Japan
4NTT Photonics Laboratories, Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation, Atsugi, Kanagawa 243-0198, Japan
(Received January 13, 2011; accepted February 22, 2011; published online March 9, 2011)
The absorption spectra of smoke emitted from heated nylon fabric are studied in the sub-terahertz band. The transmission loss of 1.5-µm-wavelength light in the smoke is 50 dB/m or more. Even in such dense smoke, the loss for waves with the frequency ranging from 200 to 500 GHz is so small that absorption lines of gas molecules in the smoke can be detected in this frequency range. Spectral analysis indicates that the smoke contains molecules of toxic gas, such as HCN and CH3CN, generated due to incomplete combustion of the nylon fabric when heated to 500 °C with air.
©2011 The Japan Society of Applied Physics
PACS: 82.80.-d, 33.20.Bx, 07.07.Df
- M. Tonouchi: Nat. Photonics 1 (2007) 97.
- R. A. Cheville and D. Grischkowsky: Opt. Lett. 20 (1995) 1646.
- D. Bigourd, A. Cuisset, F. Hindle, S. Matton, E. Fertein, R. Bocquet, and G. Mouret: Opt. Lett. 31 (2006) 2356.
- M. R. Stringer, J. Bassi, R. E. Miles, Y. Zhang, and K. Ozanyan: presented at 33rd Int. Conf. Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, 2008, W4B2, 1702.
- T. Uno and H. Tabata:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 49 (2010) 04DL17[JSAP].
- K.-H. Oh, N. Shimizu, S. Kohjiro, K. Kikuch, A. Wakatsuki, N. Kukutsu, and Y. Kado: Opt. Express 17 (2009) 18455.
- A. Wakatsuki, T. Furuta, Y. Muramoto, T. Yoshimatsu, and H. Ito: presented at 33rd Int. Conf. Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, 2008, M4K2, 1199.
- S. Kohjiro, K. Kikuchi, M. Maezawa, T. Furuta, A. Wakatsuki, H. Ito, N. Shimizu, T. Nagatsuma, and Y. Kado:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 93 (2008) 093508[AIP Scitation].
- HITRAN homepage [http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/hitran/welcometop.html].
- H. M. Pickett, R. L. Poynter, E. A. Cohen, M. L. Delitsky, J. C. Pearson, and H. S. P. Müller: J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer 60 (1998) 883.
- H. H. G. Jellinek and S. Dunkle: J. Polym. Sci., Polym. Chem., Ed. 18 (1980) 1471.